x2x

Tom Buskey tbuskey at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 14:20:01 EDT 2005

-Y is in OpenSSH_4.0p1:

    -Y      Enables trusted X11 forwarding.  Trusted X11 forwardings are not
             subjected to the X11 SECURITY extension controls.

as opposed to:
    -X      Enables X11 forwarding.  This can also be specified on a per-
             host basis in a configuration file.

             X11 forwarding should be enabled with caution.  Users with the
             ability to bypass file permissions on the remote host (for the
             user's X authorization database) can access the local X11 dis-
             play through the forwarded connection.  An attacker may then be
             able to perform activities such as keystroke monitoring.

             For this reason, X11 forwarding is subjected to X11 SECURITY
             extension restrictions by default.  Please refer to the ssh -Y
             option and the ForwardX11Trusted directive in ssh_config(5) for
             more information.

I'd imagine -X would work as well, but with less security