[Slight OT] - CD Lables

Dan Jenkins dan at rastech.com
Fri Apr 22 09:41:33 EDT 2005

Jeffrey Creem wrote:
> Travis Roy wrote:
>> I was thinking about picking up one of those CD Label kit
>> things.. Does anybody have any recommendations.. any work
>> out better for you then others?
>>
> I would recommend that you don't. There are a pile of people
> who will swear they never have problems with labels. Some
> people have had a few failures here and there. I fall into
> the second category. I only had one failure (where a label
> started to lift up at the edge) but it was enough that I
> decided to abandon labels and go with an inkjet printer that
> can print directly onto printable CD's/DVD's.
>
> It looks nicer and you never have to worry about the label
> lifting off.

I've used them with no spontaneous failures. When I tried to
remove a label (which I had successfully done in the past), I
did destroy the CD. I then realized that instead of removable
labels, I'd gotten non-removable ones. I stick with Avery labels
because all the tools I use (OpenOffice amongst them) simply let
me choose the label without fiddling with dimensions. I've used
the self-centering labels, rather than a centering kit. It's
always worked fine for me. I think the centering kit might
produce better results, but I simply don't care as long as the
CDs are labelled.

Direct printing on the CDs is much easier and nicer looking
though. I may well switch to that in the future. I've also
looked at the CDs which can be labelled by the laser. They
produce nice results, but I just can't bring myself to buy the
special drive required and the associated media. I prefer the
flexibility of using whatever is available in hardware and media.

--
Dan Jenkins (dan at rastech.com)
Rastech Inc., Bedford, NH, USA --- 1-603-206-9951