Linux Made Easy: Linspire 5.0

David Ecklein dave at diacad.com
Sun Apr 24 12:04:00 EDT 2005

Kenyon and other fellow Linux cheerleaders-

This Jim Lynch review reports some very interesting progress for Linspire.

Just one general quibble: why do people always test software on platforms
that are so far from the normal and affordable desktop configuration?

>...Here are the specs of our test box:
>
> *Motherboard* ASUS A7N8X-E
>
> *Processor* AMD Athlon XP 3000
>
> *Graphics card* MSI FX 5900XT
>
> *Hard drive* 160GB WD Hard Disk
>
> *Memory* 1GB RAM

Anything might look good on this hot rod.  I would be more interested in a
test system which picked three or more different configurations ranging as
follows:

(1) By today's standards, an older but useable AT form factor system
(millions are right now marching off the recycling cliff), say Pentium 200
class cpu with 1 Mb PCI graphics, 500 Mb HD, 32 Mb RAM, CDROM and diskette
readers, the usual sound and I/O.  This system will barely run Win98.  Will
a particular flavor of Linux (Linspire or other) save this machine?

(2) A discount store ATX el-cheapo a couple years back with something like
700 Mhz Celeron, 4 Mb AGP, 128 Mb RAM, 10 Gb HD, etc.  After an initial
period of elation, and consequent addition of every piece of software the
user (or their kids) can find, these Win9x/xp systems ultimately disappoint,
requiring major upgrades.  How well will a mass market Linux fare on them
and reduce the urge to ecologically sin with the machine?  Most dumps make
you pay before they take them.

(3) Finally, a decent and timely desktop with a 2-something-Gb cpu, 256 DDR
RAM, 64 Mb AGP, DVD burner, 80 Mb hard disk.  What advantages will a mass
Linux product offer, due to this configuration, that will favor it over M$?
The case here may be weaker for the average user, but it must be made, since
these machines are now affordable and in the market.

If some form of Linux will rescue (1) and (2), many people will become more
interested.  Deployment in our educational system is just one of many
possibilities.  Rediscovery of the power still inherent in the older
machines may be the best advertisement for Linux.  As for the new $200
machines (Walmart et al) addressing category (2) somewhat, this is largely a
question of selling Linux to first-time computer users, a formidable task.
The old machines, (1) or (2), already exist in the darkness of people's
closets if not yet dumpsters, awaiting just the right software to breathe
new life into them.

Although both must be done, I am less optimistic about the prospects of
merely addressing (3) and above (eg. the Jim Lynch "test box") as a means of
broadening the penetration of Linux beyond embedded/server/geek territory.

Dave Ecklein
dba Diacad Associates
www.diacad.com