Linux Made Easy: Linspire 5.0

Derek Martin invalid at pizzashack.org
Sun Apr 24 21:04:01 EDT 2005

On Sun, Apr 24, 2005 at 08:15:49PM -0400, Paul Lussier wrote:
> Dan Jenkins <dan at rastech.com> writes:
>
> > Having said that, in-house most of our systems aren't as fast. (I'm
> > sending this from a 1 GHz with 256 MB.)
>
> Heh, this is coming from a dual PIII-450Mhz w/ 756MB!
> Of course, I've always lived on the decaying edge of technology.
> Heck, my TV still has knobs and isn't "cable ready"! :)

If you primarily use your system for e-mail and web browsing, or even
developing code, that's still more than enough.  756MB RAM is a lot
for that kind of system!  Actually that's 256MB more than I have in my
1.5GHz Pentium M laptop which I bought last year...  (the RAM will
almost certainly be upgraded as soon as I receive my first paycheck
though)... ;-)

But, running big, bloated desktop environments like GNOME or Windows
XP takes lots of RAM.  Using all those cool features like menu
animations takes some CPU power, as does playing 3D games, of course.
Etc.  Essentially, you're paying for flash (or the ability to have it)
when you're buying the latest and greatest.

But, if your system dies tomorrow, you can get a new one that's 5x as
powerful for about $500 (including the cost of the RAM upgrade from
128MB to 512MB).  And it will run Linspire 5.0 just fine... ;-)

-=-=-=-=-