Linux Made Easy: Linspire 5.0

David Ecklein dave at diacad.com
Sun Apr 24 23:36:00 EDT 2005

Derek-

I would not be particularly interested in running Linspire on high end
systems, but there may be some who are.  You are among that group, perhaps,
and the Lynch review methodology may be appropriate.  But if you have a
high-end system, you might aspire beyond Linspire, don't you think?

"Today's computers" to you means those in the shops waiting to be sold.  Not
those in actual use, as you yourself admit.  My interest is in those systems
in actual use, or which had been in actual use prior to the dumbing-down of
available software.  So far, that has meant M$ - I hope that in the frantic
effort to match the Windows GUI slickness and other resource-consuming eye
and ear candy, Linspire and other Linux packaging does not wind up mirroring
M$'s resource gluttony.

Agreed, the Samsung CDROM readers, CDRW units, etc. seem OK in my limited
experience.  My bad impression had only been with Samsung hard drives, and
that is dated and limited to my own small computer business activity, not
"anecdotes".  Failure rate was higher than any other brand I had used.  But
these brand characterizations wax and wane.  I formerly preferred Western
Digital, but they have slipped lately - I have experienced more WD failures
lately and hear this (albeit "anecdotes") from others in the racket.
Perhaps Samsung has cleaned up their disk act since my sampling of their
wares a few years ago.  But once burned, twice shy...

Also, I admit I don't personally understand how people can get so
emotionally invested in games that they will lay out $200 or more just for a
graphics card.  Let alone for a ball game ticket.  But everyone to his
taste, said the old lady as she kissed the cow.  My curmudgeon bias has
nothing to do with my critique of this card turning up in a Linspire
benchmarking system.  Even so, the review did not compare running with a
plain vanilla VGA (whatever that might be), or contrast the performance of
the FX5900 under Linspire with anything else.  And Lynch presumably gets
paid for this!

Are there really new systems that cost "not much more than what it will cost
you to dispose of the old one"?  If "not much more" means less than 100%,
most of us could (and probably would) buy a new system for well under $100,
even at the ridiculous rates charged by the dumps these days.  Also, I would
retract all my rash and foolish statements.  Probably.

"Today's software" humph!  I still do all my business (except ads) on a DOS
system;  it is much faster than Windows at actually doing something, and
people are amazed at how quickly it boots up.  Besides, it NEVER crashes,
and (admittedly with no internet) escapes virii and spyware entirely.  I am
not going to reveal what it runs on, I'll be hooted out of the group.  On
second thought, reading some of the intervening gnhlug mail, I may be in
good company.  Why get rid of grandpa just because he's old and slow?  Put
him to work at something he can do well, with appropriate tools.  Call it
nostalgia if you wish.  I also save string and rubber bands.

Final disclaimer and/or disclosure:  I mainly use a higher order of coded
nonsense (W98se) for pleasure (this posting for instance) or, in business,
for occasional orders over the internet, and ads.  Linux could do the same,
but on my W98 platform, there isn't the incentive to switch over with all
the work (a particular pet peeve) that it will entail.  I continue to
experiment occasionally with Red Hat (up to 9 now), but as yet it is only a
laboratory curiosity and learning curve exploration here.

With all due respect,

Dave Ecklein