Question about spamassassin using MySQL

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Mon Apr 25 15:45:01 EDT 2005

On Monday, Apr 25th 2005 at 15:13 -0400, quoth Bruce Dawson:

=>On Mon, 2005-04-25 at 14:45 -0400, Steven W. Orr wrote:
=>> On Monday, Apr 25th 2005 at 13:20 -0400, quoth Bruce Dawson:
=>>
=>> =>On Mon, 2005-04-25 at 12:47 -0400, Steven W. Orr wrote:
=>> =>> Thanks, that's just what I don't want to do. I really do want to reject
=>> =>> the mail before reception is complete. After I get it then they know I got
=>> =>> it and I have to take the rouble to report it to spamcop.
=>> =>
=>> =>This is rather difficult to do because it requires the MTA to start the
=>> =>filtering *before* reception is complete, which means the filtering
=>> =>process has to be able to complete processing before or by the end of
=>> =>reception.
=>> =>
=>> =>The only mechanism I know that is capable of this are rather complicated
=>> =>firewall rules that looks for and monitors connections to port 25. These
=>> =>tend to chew up a lot of resources on the firewall machine - especially
=>> =>during a spam storm.
=>> =>
=>> =>Most people just punt and use the RBL lists (I do). They have problems,
=>> =>but they do stop *a lot* of useless traffic. (Note that I use
=>> =>list.dsbl.org, sbl.spamhaus.org, dnsbl.njabl.org, bl.spamcop.net, and
=>> =>cbl.abuseat.org, and NOT sorbs!
=>>
=>> Umm, no. That's exactly what milters are all about. Sendmail processes the
=>> incoming data stream through the list of milters. If a milter returns a
=>> failure status code then sendmail will reject the message with a 500
=>> series error. Works quite well actually. I use RBLs as well as a number of
=>> other tricks in sendmail before I even get to the milter.
=>
=>Steven: Thanks for the clarification. I was under the impression that
=>the milter is called only after the message had been received.

I've seen that before. If you want postprocessing then you can always use
procmail.

So meanwhile, I've been reading up on spamassassin using SQL and it looks
pretty cool. I just created the db and all the tables for
auto-whitelisting, pref and bayes. I'll probably cut over pretty soon.

steveo at syslang.net