Ripping wav files from iso image

Benjamin Scott dragonhawk at iname.com
Mon Apr 25 21:43:00 EDT 2005

   (As some may know, I'm made a career out of correcting off-hand comments
Paul Lussier makes.  This message continues that grand tradition.)

On Apr 25 at 8:40pm, Paul Lussier wrote:
> Yeah, that won't work.  Audio CDs are not ISO images.  They're usually
> in a format called CDDA or something like that (I think there's also
> CDDB and a couple of others).

   You got CDDA right.  CDDA is the format that the overwhelming majority of
"audio CDs" are recorded in.

   CDDB is the thing that lets software download the track list and artist
information for audio CDs.  It exists outside the CD standards themselves.
CDDB consists of some protocols, and a big database that people have submitted
disc information to.  See http://www.freedb.org for more.

   Things get confusing when one starts delving into the details of
"mutlisession" discs, or worrying about the "mode" in which CDs were recorded
in, or trying to use some of the more obscure standards out there.  This is
where all the other colored books (yellow book, orange book, silver book,
etc.) come in, and I certainly don't understand it all.

   Fortunately, one almost never has to worry about this stuff in practice.
By and large, you can safely divide the world into "audio discs" and "data
discs", which have little in common.

--
Ben <dragonhawk at iname.com>