[OT] Computer fatalities (was: Linux Made Easy: Linspire 5.0)

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Wed Apr 27 12:07:00 EDT 2005

On Apr 26, 2005, at 12:23, Derek Martin wrote:

> Often that's true, but it's largely irrelevant.  My dad runs his own
> repair business, and he's his only employee.  He doesn't have to
> follow labor regulations...  He makes little enough that after
> expenses and retirement account deductions, he isn't paying any income
> tax either.

So he doesn't pay property, sales, or social security taxes?  No tolls
on the road, and certainly no gas taxes?  The cost of said taxes and
other regs aren't built into the cost of everything he buys?  He
doesn't have to meet building code when he renovates the house? etc.
etc. etc.

The point being, even if was willing to live as his competition does,
he's not allowed to.  My property taxes alone are about 10x what a
fifth of the worlds population makes in a year.  You can't compete on
cost in that situation.

> Actually the point I should have made is that if you ordered all of
> the parts it requires to build a given appliance, and paid DEALER
> prices for them (not retail, and not wholesale), it would cost
> typically something like 5x the cost of the entire built appliance
> bought from a store.  No labor, no taxes (he's reselling the parts, so
> he doesn't pay sales tax), just HIS cost of the parts.

They say a Toyota Camry from the parts counter costs $120K.

-Bill
-----
bill at bfccomputing.com           Mobile: 603.252.2606
http://www.bfccomputing.com/    Pager: 603.442.1833
AIM: wpmcgonigle                Skype: bill_mcgonigle

For fastest support contact, please follow:
http://bfccomputing.com/support_contact.html