Asterisk for POTS users

Ed Robbins ed at erobbins.com
Tue Aug 2 14:07:00 EDT 2005

Mark Komarinski wrote:

>I just dropped a wad ($100) of cash on a new phone with an "integrated
>answering device".  I see that more and more people are using Asterisk to set
>up a PBX, but is anyone using this as a way of acting as an answering
>machine?

Yes I am and while you bring up the subject, I'd be willing to do a talk
at a meeting on how I use Asterisk.

>(insert rant here about when I pick up the phone, I darn well expect to
>hear a dialtone and Comcast will never have the reliability as Verizon).
>
>(insert second rant about FBO, FXO, SIP, and no "Asterisk for non-telco
>employees" documentation)
>
>-Mark

In a nutshell I use Asterisk to terminate all of my calls.  Both IP and
PSTN(POTS) terminated calls, as well as originating IP and at times,
PSTN calls.
I have several ATA's/IP phones scattered throughout the house and use
Asterisk as a full blown PBX, including DNIS and ANI call routing and
yes it can be viewed as a simple answering machine as well.

Ed