mount help on bad drive.

Benjamin Scott dragonhawk at iname.com
Sat Aug 6 16:43:00 EDT 2005

On Aug 4 at 7:21am, psnider at adelphia.net wrote:
> Yes, I tried without any luck.  If I remember correctly, ext2 did recognize
> the partition.

   How are you doing on this?  Did you get anywhere using "ext2" as the
filesystem type?  If you mount it read-only as ext2, you should be able to
read most data, one way or another.

   Take a look at the output of

 	fdisk -l /dev/sda

and make sure your partition table is still sane.  If the disk is starting to
fail, other things could be going wrong.

   Try running "e2fsck -fn /dev/sda2", which will run a read-only check on the
filesystem.  What does it say?

   Were you able to use "dd" to make an image of the bad disk/partition on
another, good disk?

--
Ben <dragonhawk at iname.com>