Annoying question: Installing W2K or WXP on a Linux-only box

Fred puissante at lrc.puissante.com
Tue Aug 9 20:52:01 EDT 2005

I have a Linux-only box, one hard drive. All partitions are ext2/ext3. HD is
"obviously" an IDE master.

Now, having installed a 2nd HD as the IDE slave, I want to install Windows
2000 or Windows XP on it.

Tried XP, the install screens didn't even bother comming up. May be something
with the CD. But it did work before.

Next, tried installing W2K. It's blue screen came up, listing the hard drives
and the partitions on them. Of course, all of the Linux partitions came up
as "unknown".

Created partitions on the new slave drive, but when I went to install, it
insisted that I reformat one of the Linux partitions to a "Windows
recognizable partition" just so it could install its boot loader.

Arrgh. Would not give me the option of just skipping the boot loader install
process, and indeed did not even refer to it as such.

Is there a *simple* way of making this work? I know I can transfer Linux to
the new drive and install Windows on the old, but that's *work* Or, I could
probably switch the master-slave relationship and edit the fstab file (not
in that order, of course!), but I'm a bit leery of doing it that way.

Perhaps the latter is the best approach? Has anyone shifted HDs around before
and hand-edited the fstab file to make everything behave again? Or is there
more to it than that?

I'm not worried about the boot loader issue on the new Windows drive -- I can
always reinstall it and configure the grub.conf file if I have to.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

-Fred