system excercising/burn-in tests?

Paul Lussier p.lussier at comcast.net
Wed Aug 17 11:47:01 EDT 2005

Hi all,

Does anyone here have any experience with creating system burn-in
suites?  Our vendor does a very rudimentary burn it (if it doesn't
burst into flames on it's own while sitting in the 100-degree+
warehouse on a shelf, it must be okay), and is puts the onus on it's
customers to provide them with a burn-in test to be run (all for
small, per-system fee, I'm sure :)

So, now I'm looking to come up with a burn-in suite.  My initial
thoughts were starting with a knoppix-like CD and hacking that to run
various utilities, however, I'm not even sure what utilities would be
good to run.

We basically want to stress-test all components and busses.
Especially the drives.  We're not doing performance testing at this
stage, however...

Any ideas?

Thanks,

--