Postfix Confusion with virtual

Brian Chabot brian at datasquire.net
Thu Aug 18 13:46:01 EDT 2005

Bill McGonigle wrote:

> On Aug 18, 2005, at 13:13, Brian Chabot wrote:
>
>> Uhh... Is the "anything" a literal here? I have nothing before the
>> @hostname line.
>

> Yeah, here's the relevant bit:
>
> #        Support for a virtual alias domain looks like:

We must be looking at different (and contradicting) docs.

I get:
-----From-/usr/share/doc/postfix-2.1.5/README_FILES/VIRTUAL_README-----
With virtual alias domains, each hosted address is aliased to a local UNIX
system account or to a remote address. The example below shows how to
use this
mechanism for the example.com domain.

     1 /etc/postfix/main.cf:
     2     virtual_alias_domains = example.com ...other hosted domains...
     3     virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
     4
     5 /etc/postfix/virtual:
     6     postmaster at example.com postmaster
     7     info at example.com       joe
     8     sales at example.com      jane
     9     # Uncomment entry below to implement a catch-all address
    10     # @example.com         jim
    11     ...virtual aliases for more domains...
  * Line 10: the commented out entry (text after #) shows how one would
    implement a catch-all virtual alias that receives mail for every
    example.com address not listed in the virtual alias file. This is not
    without risk. Spammers nowadays try to send mail from (or mail to) every
    possible name that they can think of. A catch-all mailbox is likely to
    receive many spam messages, and many bounces for spam messages that were
    sent in the name of anything at example.com.

*shrug* let's see...

Here goes with the new lines:
host.domain.com    anything
@host.domain.com    username

...nope.
"Relay access denied"

...and
host.domain.com    anything
someuser at host.domain.com    username

...nope.
"Relay access denied"

...and
host.domain.com    anything
someuser at host.domain.com    username at localserverfqdn

..nope.
"Relay access denied"

...and just:
someuser at host.domain.com    username at localserverfqdn

..nope.
"Relay access denied"

I'm beginning to think it's not in the virtual.db file.

Brian