Laptop Suggestions

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Wed Aug 24 15:27:00 EDT 2005

On Aug 24, 2005, at 12:42, Michael Costolo wrote:

> Does it *HAVE* to be linux? I recently picked up a Powerbook (BSD).
> Fabulous
> piece of hardware.

Yellow Dog Linux or Fedora Core 4 PPC or SuSE PPC might also be a
candidate.  You'd have to get a PCMCIA wireless card if you go that
route because the Apple "Airport Extreme" is a Broadcom chipset, and
Broadcom doesn't play well with Open Source.  They have a binary-only
driver for the WRT54G (MIPS) but won't release source.  Last I heard
they were claiming the Pentagon wouldn't let them release a driver
<derogatory sneeze>.

Some guys are attempting to Chinese Wall the chipset:

   http://linux-bcom4301.sourceforge.net/go/progress

but it's not ready yet (help wanted).

Yes, these are the same Broadcom people posting to GNHLUG-jobs looking
for Linux folk for their new RAID card.

It's a pisser because the iBook is about the best value in a rugged
laptop to be had, but there's no PCMCIA slot (note: the 12" 'Powerbook'
is really a full-metal-jacketed iBook, so don't look there either).

-Bill
-----
bill at bfccomputing.com           Mobile: 603.252.2606
http://www.bfccomputing.com/    Pager: 603.442.1833