upgrading systems w/o physical access?

Paul Lussier p.lussier at comcast.net
Tue Aug 30 10:47:01 EDT 2005

"Michael ODonnell" <michael.odonnell at comcast.net> writes:

>>We've been having a real problem with drive reliability
>>lately which results in the machine in question needing to be
>>re-installed (the re-partitioning of the drives vectors around
>>the newly found bad sectors)....
>

> If only you knew of some company that had some high-performance,
> fault-tolerant storage solutions...                ;->

Ironically, I had that same thought! ;)

And, amusingly enough, a good friend of mine at a former company,
which also claims to sell "high-performance, fault-tolerant storage
solutions", has this listed on his profile on LinkedIn:

    Actively programming in the Linux kernel. I'm writing the GPL
    Linux driver for the Marvell family of Serial ATA (SATA) host bus
    adapters. Architected, wrote, and maintain a program that actively
    scans for and repairs hard disk drive errors, recovers data, and
    ensures consistent file system health.

I found that pretty amusing :)

--

Seeya,