MAC addresses, hostnames, and DHCP

Mark Komarinski mkomarinski at wayga.org
Thu Dec 1 10:12:00 EST 2005

On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 02:55:49PM +0000, klussier at comcast.net wrote:
> >  > However, some machines, usually laptops (one wireless,
> >  > one wired), have 2 NICs and 2 MAC addresses.
> >  > Hoever, the machine can only have one host name in DNS.
> >  > Can I assign the same IP address to multiple MAC addresses?
> >
> > You could always do hostname.domain and hostname-2.domain or
> > hostname-wifi.domain.
> >
> > But why have the same IP on two different MACs? or even the same hostname?
>
> As I stated, the usual case is a laptop that has a wireless a wired interface. It's the same machine, and needs to be reachable by hostname whether it is on wireless or wired.

Hmm.  Then you have to make sure that only one interface is active at a
time.  Otherwise you'll have a conflict, even with DDNS.

Heeeyyy.....I got an idea.

Can you do DNS failover?  Have the wired and wireless interfaces set
up as hostname-wired and hostname-wireless, have hostname be a CNAME
that fails over from -wired to -wireless and it'll be available as
hostname no matter which interface is up.

-Mark