MAC addresses, hostnames, and DHCP

John Abreau jabr at blu.org
Thu Dec 1 11:22:00 EST 2005

klussier at comcast.net writes:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm setting up a DHCP server to give out specific ip addresses
> to certain hosts based on MAC address. However, some machines,
> usually laptops (one wireless, one wired), have 2 NICs and
> 2 MAC addresses. Hoever, the machine can only have one host
> name in DNS. Can I assign the same IP address to multiple MAC
> addresses? ( The answer is no, but I'm looking forward to the
> creative suggestions to dealing with this sort of issue  :-)
>
> TIA,
> Kenny

Strictly speaking, the address and the hostname belong to the NIC, not
the machine as a whole. If you need to reach the machine without knowing
which NIC it's using, I'd suggest running a VPN tunnel on the machine
and point your hostname at the VPN address.

ICQ 28611923 / AIM abreauj / JABBER jabr at jabber.org / YAHOO abreauj
Email jabr at blu.org / WWW http://www.abreau.net / PGP-Key-ID 0xD5C7B5D9