Automating DNS/DHCP [ was Re: MAC addresses, hostnames, and DHCP ]

Paul Lussier p.lussier at comcast.net
Fri Dec 2 09:26:00 EST 2005

Fred <puissante at lrc.puissante.com> writes:

> I have a possible suggestion:
>
> Use PowerDNS and scripting around your DHCP server.
>
> http://www.powerdns.com/
>
> Since PowerDNS is database driven (I'm using it in conjunction with MySQL,
> but it can be configured to work with any database), you simply have a
> script called by DHCP to assign the name to the first MAC that comes up.

This looks interesting.  We're in the process of building a huge
database for all our host/user information, and one of the motivating
factors was automating the maintenance of the zone and dhcp config
files.

Can you provide a little more insight as to how you're using it, and
what site-specific hacks you've come up with to customize your DNS
query results?

--

Seeya,
Paul