MAC addresses, hostnames, and DHCP

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Fri Dec 2 12:11:02 EST 2005

On Dec 1, 2005, at 16:58, John Abreau wrote:

> Um, when you disconenct from the VPN, then reestablish it after
> switching from wired to wireless, the VPN session will still use the
> same IP address, so the ssh session will never see the IP address
> change. The change in the underlying "real" address will be invisible
> to the ssh session.

Right.  ssh isn't NetworkManager-aware so it won't see any changes.  I
suspect it will be some day, though.  In that case it would know about
4 network changes.  KISS wins the day here, though.

-Bill

-----
bill at bfccomputing.com           Mobile: 603.252.2606
http://www.bfccomputing.com/    Pager: 603.442.1833