disk scrubber for Linux?

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Thu Dec 8 17:01:04 EST 2005

On Dec 8, 2005, at 16:35, Michael ODonnell wrote:

> to detect bad blocks with
> the hope that you can do something about them before the
> situation becomes critical.

Somebody recently wrote (here, I think) that modern disks allocate
spare blocks for every sector, spare sectors on each track, and
automatically remap bad blocks while there are spares left, so by the
time you see a bad block, you're in pretty deep.  Which is why Tom
pointed to SMART tools.  I suppose once this starts to happen is when
you see "drive failure imminent warnings".

>  This is of particular interest
> with mirrored disks because bad blocks can silently render
> your supposedly fault-tolerant kit, um, less so...

What happened?  This is exactly why you have a mirror.  Linux RAID
handles this fine, in my experience.

-Bill

-----
bill at bfccomputing.com           Mobile: 603.252.2606