Programming Language History

Jon maddog Hall maddog at li.org
Thu Dec 8 17:09:01 EST 2005

ken at jots.org said:
>  One of them was obviously supposed to be solved as a recursive problem, but
> I realized that you could use the ol' (n^2+n)/2=(say,a triangle made of
> checkers, with "n" checkers on a side) equation, and save an awful lot of
> writing.  [I always hated computer exams that required writing code with a
> pencil.]

I think you also saved a lot of computation, given a reasonably sized triangle,
which is why I always told my students to look for the most efficient algorithm
and worry about the niceties of which language you use second.

md
--
Jon "maddog" Hall
Executive Director           Linux International(R)

Board Member: Uniforum Association, USENIX Association

(R)Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in several countries.
(R)Linux International is a registered trademark in the USA used pursuant
   to a license from Linux Mark Institute, authorized licensor of Linus
   Torvalds, owner of the Linux trademark on a worldwide basis
(R)UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group in the USA and other
   countries.