disk scrubber for Linux?

Michael ODonnell michael.odonnell at comcast.net
Thu Dec 8 20:30:01 EST 2005

>> and you won't know it until you go to read that file
>> when you're syncing the new disk.
>
>Ah, right - so you're trying to avoid replacing a disk
>when SMART tells you it's starting to fail?

Wow!  If you're able to divine from the little bit I've posted
on this subject that all we're doing is cheaping out and that
all of our customers *necessarily* know/want/use SMART and that
all of their HW is SMART-capable and that SMART makes sense in
every one of their deployed systems and that recovering from such
errors between backups is of no value, then we *desperately*
need to engage you as a consultant.  Please, provide contact
info and name your price - we're very excited!

Otherwise, please allow me to continue to at least suggest the
laughable possibility that periodic reads of disk blocks to
verify their integrity isn't a total waste of time, and that
we're still interested in hearing about any apps that might
implement this approach to enhancing RAID reliability...