Non-linux servers [was Re: disk scrubber for Linux?]

Paul Lussier p.lussier at comcast.net
Fri Dec 9 10:26:01 EST 2005

Tom Buskey <tom at buskey.name> writes:

> At the risk of being a heritic here :-) Solaris 10 finally gives me reasons
> to consider on an x86 server instead of Linux.

The *BSDs have been there for quite a long time as well :) And in
general, seem to have solved a lot of the problems we've seen Linux
stumble over in the past.  But it's certainly nice to at last have a
Solaris for x86 that doesn't suck!

> Improved speed, ZFS, zones and dtrace.

It will certainly be nice to see what happens with these and other
things.  Two places where Solaris shines is 64bit computing and SMP.
The latter of which Linux doesn't do nearly as well on (well enough
for the price that beowulf was an option though).

> They're also releasing source for most of it and hopefully we'll see
> some of it appear in Linux.

It makes me wonder if it's ultimately worth staying with Linux.  If
Solaris eventually morphs into a truly Free OS, what advantage would
linux provide other than perhaps it's slightly larger hardware support
matrix?

--

Seeya,
Paul