Voip teleophony - Anyone know Packet-8 or others?

Travis Roy travis at scootz.net
Mon Dec 12 17:51:01 EST 2005

> Oh, if you own a TiVo Series 1, do your homework before dumping your
> landline....

There are things to get around this. I heard Vonage has a prefix to dial
to put it into "fax mode". This puts the codec into one that uses close
to no compression (eating bandwidth) and nearly no lag.

You can also setup an external 2400 baud modem and have it dial out that
way and that works.

The DirecTiVo doesn't need to make a phone call except during the
initial setup, or if you want to buy PPV by the remote (you can still do
it by phone or online). My DirecTiVo hasn't made a call in over 400 days.

The new DirecTV DVR doesn't make a phone call at all unless you buy PPV.