Voip teleophony - Anyone know Packet-8 or others?

Travis Roy travis at scootz.net
Wed Dec 14 10:41:01 EST 2005

> To quote Galaxy Quest, "Ah, the niavete."  First and foremost: I totally
> agree with every point you made.  Which doesn't, alas, mean that the
> telco has to agree, or, for that matter, the law.  Just as a ferinstance
> of where you already *could* violate the law with an Asterisk box:
> (unauthorized) reselling of telco service *is* illegal.  So if, say, you
> had Aunt Bessie pay you $5/mo. for the privilege of unlimited calling
> via a SIP phone from her house through your Asterisk box, yes, you'd be
> breaking the law.

Oh, I agree, but as you stated that stuff is already illegal. I doubt
VoIP or having your own Asterisk box will be illegal any time soon. To
many people are using VoIP now. And as stated before, in order for you
to make or recive calls from a "normal" phone you have to pay somebody
something, somewhere. So a company is usually involved.