Voip teleophony - Anyone know Packet-8 or others?

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 15:03:00 EST 2005

  Heh.  Gmail just suggested this: http://www.mycablenightmare.com/

On 12/14/05, Travis Roy <travis at scootz.net> wrote:
> Just curious, why can't you get sat?

  'cause I live in an apartment building, it's only wired for a single
CATV provider, and I'm on the ground floor so I can't just stick a
dish out my window.

On 12/14/05, Bill McGonigle <bill at bfccomputing.com> wrote:
> Maybe when everybody has a digital TV with built-in guides ...

  Well, that's what CableCARD was supposed to enable -- rather then
having to a rent-a-box from the provider, they just give you a card
(hardware key), which you plug into your TV, VCR, TiVo, PC, or
whatever you want.  However, none of the operators appear to want to
cooperate on the standard.  So things like an on-screen guide require
the proprietary box.  Gee, what a surprise.

> ... (or even better - Java) ...

  Oh, great, as if PCs full of spyware aren't bad enough.

-- Ben