ProBIND2 (was: DNS: BIND vs. WinDNS)

Neil Schelly neil at jenandneil.com
Thu Dec 15 12:34:00 EST 2005

> On Dec 15, 2005, at 09:00, Neil Schelly wrote:
>
>> It doesn't matter what you consider large.  Including reverse
>> lookup zones, when I implemented this,  I think I managed 2 views with
>> about 10 zones in one and about 20 in the other.
>
> Does it grok views?  That is, when adding/changing/deleting an address
> can it (maybe through rules you specify) make those changes through
> multiple views with appropriate addresses for each view?  Now _that_
> would save me a bunch of time.

That it doesn't do.  It actually doesn't really have any knowledge of
views to begin with.  In my case, I set it up where the DNS servers were
configured with a named.conf that setup the views with include statements
in each. The includes for each view were "external/named.conf" and
"internal/named.conf" which went into the subdirectories where ProBIND2
built it's config files.

Ultimately, it doesn't "really support" views, but so long as you don't
mind managing the databases separately, it still simplifies matters a good
deal.
-N