OT: Friend with ASUS MB problem

Michael Costolo michael.costolo at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 13:10:01 EST 2005

On 12/18/05, Travis Roy <travis at scootz.net> wrote:

> it's somewhat related since he did try to install Linux too.. but here's
> the link to his email explaining his problem:
>
> http://vip.asus.com/eservice/techmailstatus.aspx?ID=WTM20051214141504008
>
> he's fairly tech savy but we both can't figure out what's up. He's tried
> nearly everything. He's very interested in trying linux, so it would be
> nice to help him out.

My very first Linux install was on an Asus mobo (I forget the model).  I
kept getting a kernel panic error on the install.  Spent weeks trying to
figure out what I was doing wrong.  Couldn't install Windows either.
Frustrated I carted the box to the Santa Barbara LUG where the pros
diagnosed a bad mobo after confirming my observations.  I was able to get an
RMA, sent it back (Tiger Direct) and ended up getting an Abit KT7A-raid
board which worked beautifully out of the box.

If he can't install any OS, it could just be a bad board.

-Mike-