gnhlug-discuss digest, Vol 1 #1694 - 1 msg

Bruce Dawson jbd at codemeta.com
Mon Dec 19 13:46:00 EST 2005

Joseph wrote:
>  Does this SSH server face the internet? Is there a stand alone
firewall in front of this ssh server (and I don't mean Iptables on the
machine)? Why no IPSEC or SSL VPN instead? As for the SSH blacklisting
check out this http://www.pettingers.org/code/sshblack.html

After several years of managing systems on the internet, I've learned a
few things...

    * Have dual bastion routers/hosts.
    * Firewall the DMZ.
    * Maintain the honeypot.
    * Monitor the log files.
    * If you must have a backdoor, make sure it moves around. A lot.
    * Don't do anything obvious (like use standard ports).
    * Stay away from the newer standards (like IPSEC, OpenVPN, ...) They
      frequently have bugs that noone knows about at the moment, and
      that someone exploits when you can least afford it.
    * Code-review the old stuff - to the extent that you know how it
      works internally, and you've found at least 5 bugs.

sshblack looks like a good idea, but I can't figure out if its
dynamically updated or not (at least, not without reading the code,
which I don't have time for at the moment.)

--Bruce