Hamachi (was: Server Security)

Adam Helbling ahelblin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 09:56:01 EST 2005

On 12/20/05, Ben Scott <dragonhawk at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/20/05, Adam Helbling <ahelblin at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  Ya I recommended Hamachi to him.
> >
> >  http://www.hamachi.cc/
>
>   Interesting.  Is there any particular reason one would choose that
> over other technologies (such as OpenVPN or even IPsec)?  Has it been
> subject to any kind of peer review of it's security?

-- Ben

I heard about it on the Security Now! podcast. Steve Gibson from Gibson
Research Corp., did a bunch of analysis of the tool. Hamachi has been in
beta testing for about a year now, and will be stamped with version 1.0 very
shortly. I have not had a chance to play with it yet, but plan to once I get
my machines up and running again. Steve apparently, spent two weeks testing,
and talking with the lead developer. Steve even went as far to put Hamachi
on his most important machines while he was traveling (as a way to access
them).

After listening to the podcast and about all the tests that were run and the
features available, I was quite impressed. It seems like the developer has
really done a superb job.

Here is the link to the security section describing alot about Hamachi's
strengths.
http://www.hamachi.cc/security

-H (adamh)