Any Opinions on SuSE 10.0 vs other Distros

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 10:11:02 EST 2005

On 12/21/05, Jim Kuzdrall <gnhlug at intrel.com> wrote:
> I have compiled KDE from source, which may be my only option in the
> future.  Who is championing KDE at the moment?  I gave up on Red Hat
> when they went to Blue Curve or whatever.

  I'm not sure what you mean by "championing".

  Certainly, the Red Hat/Fedora "default desktop" is GNOME, but they
package KDE as well.  I'm currently using KDE as my "desktop
environment" on my FC4 box, and had no problem doing the same when it
was FC3.  The can even get rid of most or all of the GNOME packages
(depending on what other stuff you want to keep), if you like.

  As for "Blue Curve", that's just Red Hat's custom UI theme
(basically icons and window trim).  The idea behind it is to build
identical themes for all the various GUI components, so that Red Hat's
distro looks the same regardless of what someone happens to be using.
Red Hat claimed it was for usability; personally, I suspect it's
mainly a marketing/branding thing.  Regardless, it is basically
superficial, not functional, and you can switch the themes easily
enough.  I never understood the fuss around it.

  As for other distros... Debian doesn't really push one or the other.
 Mandrake (or Mandrivia or whatever it is now) was originally created
as Red Hat-plus-KDE (back when RHS refused to ship KDE due to a
licensing objection).  That was years ago, of course; perhaps things
have changed.

  Not really sure if any of that will help...?

-- Ben