getting Authoritative Name Servers registered in TLD

Thomas Charron twaffle at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 13:39:00 EST 2005

  The term you're looking for is 'Glue Records'.  Glue records are required
to allow the tld nameservers to resolve the IP address for DNS records.
Glue records are are ONLY 'required' by a tld when the nameserver is located
within the same tld.  As an examples ns1.example.com at 66.132.43.53services
example.com.  example.com would need a glue record for that host in the .com
tld.  Is ns1.example.com is also doing DNS resolution for foo.org,
technically, the .org TLD does NOT require a glue record, however, IT IS
RECOMENDED ONE EXIST.  Different tld's deal with this differently, but
adding the glue records is always important.  Technically speaking, *ANYONE*
can add a glue record.  This is why they probrably say 'Someone else do it',
becouse typically it is a manual process.

  Technically speaking, the entity responsible for the registration of a
domain is responsible for any glue records for DNS servers required by that
domain.  Let's say, as above, foo.org.  Whoever you register foo.org thru
should be able to create the glue record if it doesn't already exist.
Hypothetically, whoever you registered example.com could also push out the
glue records, IF they have the ability to INTERFACE with THAT GIVEN TLD.
Very important.  Some people may register, say, .org and .com, but NOT .name
or .cc, etc.

  If they are resellers for tucows, tell them to go into the damned tucows
screens and under DNS servers, provide the IP address for the glue record (I
think there may be a glue records button, but I don't recall).

  Thomas