Alternative to k3b? or why is everything soooooo slow?

Ken D'Ambrosio ken at jots.org
Fri Dec 23 09:48:01 EST 2005

Bruce Labitt wrote:

> [...]
> When I used k3b to burn a SuSE9.3 iso it only ran at a burn rate of
> 0.4X.  This is somewhat irritating since it is rated as at least a 8x
> drive when burning +R media.  Worse than taking 2.5 hours to burn a
> potential coaster is the fact that my system clock was more than 1
> hour off [slow] after burning a full dvd!

Just for the record: I'd been running Debian (Libranet), and getting
much the same results.  I just upgraded to Ubuntu, and now I'm running
at ~2.25x.  A gig in DVD in roughly six minutes.  I'm using k3b, just
like I had been -- so, either Ubuntu has some nicer defaults, or
cdrecord (or somesuch derivative) has something else tweaked.  In other
words, don't despair, just yet.  It's possible, even if I don't know
exactly what fixed it.

Happy holidays, all!

-Ken