"Embedded system"

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Fri Dec 23 15:08:01 EST 2005

On Dec 23, 2005, at 14:22, Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:

> Does anyone know of any hardware that might fit the bill?

I'm developing a firewall for a client using a Pentium-M based system
from a Taiwan OEM.  Basically a laptop-style board in a rackmount case
(about 19X10x1U) with a PCI slot and an IDE flash slot (CF).  I'm using
the flash for storage, takes a laptop memory chip, and has 1 PCI slot
though I can't imagine why you'd use it because the case wouldn't fit
on (maybe they sell a 90 degree adapter).  But it has 4 ethernet ports
on it and a serial port and 2 USB on the front, so I'm not expecting to
need a PCI slot.  There's a 3.5" bay I'm not using.  The mono LCD
display I haven't played with yet - I think it's serial too.

The biggest problem is they chose the absolute worst case fans they
could find.   If I stick pencils in the case fans it's nearly quiet -
the Intel Pentium-M fan is very good.  And... the fans are soldered
right to the power board - they're not modular.  I'm complaining to the
OEM and they're going to see what they can do.  As it, I'm not
recommending the product but I'll put you in touch with their sales rep
if you want an incredibly noisy unit or are willing to violate warranty
to put in your own fans.

Also, I just saw these yesterday which may be more interesting:

   http://www.sd-omega.com/

I want one of those units with the automotive-savvy power supply from
Santa!

-Bill

-----
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/