Help me avoid Exchange

Dan Jenkins dan at rastech.com
Fri Dec 23 19:17:00 EST 2005

Bill McGonigle wrote:

> Somebody told me Exchange 2K3 was all WebDAV, Kerberos, and LDAP.
> They may have been dreaming.

As Ben Scott said,

>Exchange does support all those, in one way or another.
>But it still has all the crufty old Exchange innards

Plus the usual embrace-and-extend bits for the standards.

> I've seen setups where you put a postfix server in front of Exchange
> and cc: a copy of all the mail to an IMAP server (UWash in this case,
> but Cyrus or Dovecot would be more appropriate today) for when the
> Exchange server goes down.

I usually have Postfix bolted in front of every mail server, even if the
inside one is Postfix too. It does simplify some things.
The CC'ing is an idea I never thought of though. I like it.

> I've found Cyrus to be almost manageable after you figure out the
> small undocumented bag of tricks necessary to, say, rebuild a mailbox
> from message files.  It suffers from the typical need to go to the
> mailing list for very pedestrian admin tasks.  But if you need
> something like MURDER there's not much competition other than
> Dartmouth's BlitzMail in the open source space and that has its own
> set of unique issues.

I've used Courier IMAP for years, mainly because I got it running faster
than Cyrus. I've often wondered since what is better with Cyrus. The
documentation at the time was, politely speaking, opaque. I've just
never had the time to go back and try something else. I've heard the
name Dovecot, but nothing else about it. I'd appreciate others' opinions
on IMAP servers. (Not attempting fork this into an IMAP flame-fest.)

--
Dan Jenkins (dan at rastech.com)
Rastech Inc., Bedford, NH, USA --- 1-603-206-9951