Help me avoid Exchange

Kevin D. Clark kevin_d_clark at comcast.net
Fri Dec 23 21:34:01 EST 2005

Dan Jenkins writes:

> I've used Courier IMAP for years, mainly because I got it running
> faster than Cyrus. I've often wondered since what is better with
> Cyrus. The documentation at the time was, politely speaking,
> opaque. I've just never had the time to go back and try something
> else. I've heard the name Dovecot, but nothing else about it. I'd
> appreciate others' opinions on IMAP servers. (Not attempting fork this
> into an IMAP flame-fest.)

University of Washington IMAP server is pretty easy to setup, but uses
mbox format, so it becomes really slow on larger mail folders (>~800
messages).  It doesn't take too long to become unusable.

In my opinion, Cyrus is hard to setup.  After two hours or so
wrestling with one of its dependencies (SASL) once, I looked
elsewhere.  I can't deny that some people have had a lot of luck with
Cyrus, but not me.

I tried Dovecot once but I got the server to hang >5 times within a
span of a week.  I'm the only person using my server, possibly with as
many as three different IMAP clients.  I can't have my IMAP server
hang...

Courier IMAP is easy to setup and always works well for me.  It uses
Maildir format.  I've used this for years with no problems.

Regards,

--kevin
--
GnuPG ID: B280F24E