system no longer dual-boots

Jim Kuzdrall gnhlug at intrel.com
Mon Dec 26 16:47:01 EST 2005

> Local pc repair guy copied Windows disk to a new
> (larger) disk, and replaced that first disk.
>
> However, now system only boots Windows.  There no longer is even a
> prompt to choose between Windows and FC4.

    It is not a serious problem, but I am not sure enough of the
procedure to competently advise you.

    The repair guy did not copy GRUB into the boot partition of the
Windows disk.  The Windows boot sector and GRUB can co-exist.  If GRUB
is there, it gets grabbed first.  It is transparent to Windows, so he
didn't know it was there.

    First get back into Linux somehow.  Will your Fedora CD allow you to
boot to drive 2?   Alternatively, perhaps Knoppix has everything you
need.  You didn't make one of the those silly Rescue disks, did you?

    Try typing "info grub" in a terminal.  The installation instructions
are there.  Also look in the RH manuals.  I know that SuSE includes a
simple script to automate the installation of GRUB.  "Linux in a
Nutshell"  4th Ed, O"Reilly, has a section on GRUB with a descent
explanation of the procedure.

    If worst comes to worst, I can send you the procedure I wrote for
myself the last time that happened here.  I don't know how much sense
it will make to anyone else, but you are welcome to it.

Jim Kuzdrall