dual boot from either Red Hat Enterprise AS or Fedora?

Dan Jenkins dan at rastech.com
Wed Dec 28 16:31:01 EST 2005

Ben Scott wrote:

>On 12/28/05, Dan Jenkins <dan at rastech.com> wrote:
>

>>Partition Magic (aka PQMagic) does not support ext3 filesystems ...
>>... PQMagic will no longer be updated, since it was bought out by
>>Symantec ...
>>

>  Symantec still sells PartitionMagic as a current product.  I don't
>know how often they update it.  PM has claimed to support EXT3 for
>some time now.  I don't know how well it works, since I haven't bought
>an update in years.  OTOH, IIRC, PowerQuest funded the original work
>on the ext2/3 resize code, so there's every reason to think they know
>what they're doing.

Interesting. I have Partition Magic 8.0, and it definitely does not
resize ext3. I do see they have
a 8.01 update from 2003, which I'm going to try. That would be very nice.

>    I still have my floppy-based version of PM, which I use on
>occasion.

I use it several times a week for NTFS or FAT32 and less often for ext2.
Still works quite well.

>These days, I generally either use LVM or parted.  I find
>parted is not as nice as PM is, in terms of how it works.  I don't
>mean just the GUI-vs-CLI, I mean how it appears to go about doing
>certain things.  OTOH, it gets the job done.
>
>  I also have a long-standing distrust of Linux partitioning tools,
>having had them generate many a bogus partition table.

I've had so many bad experiences in the past and am still a bit leery,
that I usually don't repartition
Linux, except with PQMagic. I have tried parted recently, and found it
worked, so I may switch.
I've rarely found the need for the flexibility that LVM provides.

>>... and their tech merged into Ghost ...
>>

>  I know PowerQuest's DriveImage was the chief competition against
>Symantec Ghost for awhile.  I know that the current version of Ghost
>creates files with the extension PQ DI used, not the extension
>previous versions of Ghost used.  So I think what happened was
>Symantec bought PQ, killed off Ghost (heh), and renamed DriveImage to
>Ghost.

That's what I believe. We used to be beta-testers for all of
PowerQuest's software.
My last beta of DriveImage looks eerily (:-) like the current Ghost
(beneath the skin at least).

--
Dan Jenkins (dan at rastech.com)
Rastech Inc., Bedford, NH, USA --- 1-603-206-9951