Follow-up: Red Hat / Fedora dual boot

Zhao Peng greenmt at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 23:06:00 EST 2005

Hi,

I'm back to bug you guys on this thread. (BTW, It's very likely that I
may use some terms incorrectly, due to my unfamiliarity with linux.
Sorry about that. :) )

In case you may forget, let me repeat my situation:

only 1 hard drive, and only RedHat Enterprise installed on it, and no
unallocated free space.

In order to resize the hard drive to give some space to Fedora, I used
Qtparted on Knoppix live DVD (I don't have Partition Magic).
Unfortunately it didn't work.

My current RedHat partition is as follows:

hda1   ext3
hda2   ext3
hda3   ext3
hda4   extended
hda5   ext3
hda6   swap
hda7   ext3

Note: hda4 consists of hda5, hda6, and hda7.

When I right-click on the above partitions one by one, "resize" is
gray-out for all partitions, except hda4. So I went ahead to resize
hda4. I set "Free space after" to 30 gb. (hda4 has 42 gb, and no more
than 3 gb is used). Then I got a small pop-up window w/o any information
on it, except for a question mark.

I googled and found the table at this link:
http://qtparted.sourceforge.net/features.en.html

 From this table, I suspect that Qtparted can NOT resize ext3/ext2 type
partition. Am I right?

If this is the case, what other EASY tools do you recommend me to try?
(I also tried Gparted live CD at
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php, but had problems booting the
machine from it)

Thank you for all input you have given. I really appreciate that.

Zhao