NFS and firewalls

Ken D'Ambrosio kend at xanoptix.com
Wed Feb 2 09:17:01 EST 2005

Benjamin Scott wrote:

>NFS (and the portmapper it depends on) has so many security
>problems (both in design and implementation) that it's kind of pointless.

Good point...

> <>The solution has always been to put your NFS behind your firewall.

<>It is.  [And, as your disclaimer read, 'this does not apply to me'.]
However, before putting stuff up on the "outside," I always enjoy using
it on my personal machine.  That way, if, say, it causes one's disk to
suddenly become re-formatted, no big deal.

>  This may not apply to the more recent flavors of NFS, which support more
>security features and can run over TCP.  Since I don't know jack about them,
>I can't comment one way or the other.

A very interesting point, and one I hadn't previously entertained.  I
just may fire up "NFS over TCP", and see what happens.  Thanks for the
idea...

-Ken