Weird Bind issue

Benjamin Scott bscott at ntisys.com
Wed Feb 9 22:51:00 EST 2005

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005, at 12:31pm, travis at scootz.net wrote:
> This started cropping up last week. Our DNS server is running fine, then
> for no reason it dies with this error:
>
> exiting (due to assertion failure)

  As Kevin Clark said, you really should know to provide more info.  :)

  One thing that is begging to be asked is: What changed right around when
the problem started happening?  And I know you work in a datacenter, and I
know what those are like, so don't you dare tell us "nothing changed".  :)

  I've seen problems like that with BIND 9 on recent Red Hat releases, where
a custom-compiled kernel's threading API did not match libc's threading API.
Random thread functions will fail, segfault, abort, or whatever.  Of course,
I have no idea what distribution you're running, so that might be away off
base.

  At a minimum, you should tell us your distribution and release, and the
version of the software (i.e., BIND) that's giving you trouble.

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>