Debian flamewar (was: OpenOffice doc...)

Cole Tuininga colet at code-energy.com
Fri Feb 11 08:02:01 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 19:11 -0500, Paul Iadonisi wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 10:41 -0500, Cole Tuininga wrote:
>
>   Okay, here's at least some answers.  You asked if yum had the
> equivalent of "apt-cache search".  Well, I haven't used apt in a while,
> but does what it looks like it does, then, yes, the version of yum
> available in Fedora Core 3 has a "yum search" function which will do a
> glob and return a list of matching packages.

That's close to what I was talking about.  The really neat part (IMHO)
about apt-cache search is that it doesn't just do a glob search on
package names, it does a glob search on the files *within* the
packages.

As an example, let's say I happen to know that in order to get a remote
machine to handle X forwarding with ssh, I need the xauth command.  But
I'm not really sure in what package I would find xauth.

 $ apt-cache search xauth
xbase-clients - miscellaneous X clients
xvfb - virtual framebuffer X server

Sounds like xbase-clients is what I want.  This is the thing that kinda
"wowed" me about apt when I first started playing with debian.  I'm
imagining that yum probably has a similar ability though.

[snip interesting comments on apt-get's role in the rpm world]

I actually hadn't realized yum was written in python, though I probably
should have figured it out.  As you say, the RH install/configuration
team sure seems to be endeared towards the language.  For my part, I
can't blame 'em.  ;)

--
Give a man a match, and you keep him warm for an evening.
Light him on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Cole Tuininga
Lead Developer
Code Energy, Inc
colet at code-energy.com