Debian question

Michael ODonnell michael.odonnell at comcast.net
Tue Feb 15 17:36:01 EST 2005

> Someone gave the idea for listing the directory
> /usr/share/doc and sorting that by date.  Every package
> has a folder under /usr/share/doc.  That works for me...
> is there some need you have that this doesn't satisfy?

That's probably not a reliable approach since users like me
frequently wander into /usr/share/doc/* and do stuff like
decompress README files and such, changing the timestamps
on the directories in question as a side effect.

On the other hand, since humans usually have no business
wandering around in /var/lib/dpkg/info, the suggestion
about using the timestamps on the /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.list
files is reasonable, and it seems to be the semi-official
workaround to this APT deficiency, according to at least
one item I dogpiled.