OpenOffice query: shutdown

Derek Martin invalid at pizzashack.org
Tue Feb 15 23:20:01 EST 2005

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 10:43:57PM -0500, Benjamin Scott wrote:
>   The thing is, from what the OP is saying, OOo *used* to prompt him if he
> was sure he wanted to do that.  Obviously, X11 hasn't shut down at that
> point, or he wouldn't get the prompt.
>
>   I assume that before OOo and GNOME were speaking to each other, and now
> they're not.  I have no clue as to how they did then or why they're not now,
> though.

That's a good point, but I still stand by what I said...  This is not
the "normal" way to exit a program, and I don't think it's a good idea
to rely on it working properly.

Gnome has come a long way, but I still find there are quite a few
things about it which behave strangely and/or unreliably.  For
example, the panel often "forgets" to autohide...  Sometimes when I
exit my session, it just sits there and hangs...  I can move my mouse
and use windows which are on the desktop, excpet for the panel.  And
all nautilus functions stop working (presumably because it's been
killed).  Sometimes, if I kill all the apps on my desktop, the session
exits.  Other times, I actually need to hit ctrl-backspace to kill X.

My point is, I don't think exiting gnome is reliable, period.
Expecting it to make your apps die gracefully is, IMO, expecting too
much, regardless of past performance...

-=-=-=-=-