Debian flamewar (was: OpenOffice doc...)

Bob Bell bbell at macroped.com
Wed Feb 16 09:19:01 EST 2005

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 11:24:28PM -0500, Benjamin Scott <bscott at ntisys.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, at 6:26am, neil at jenandneil.com wrote:
>   If I have 3 packages, A, B, and C, I need to test A with B, A with C, and
> B with C -- 3 interactions.  If I have 4 packages -- A, B, C, and D -- I
> need to test A with each of B, C, and D, and B with each of C and D, and C
> with D: 6 interactions.

FWIW, for the behavior you are describing, the number of interactions is
N*(N-1)/2.  In other words, exactly half of the N^2-N behavior you
original thought it was, and still O(N^2), which I think is your point.

Yes, IAAM (I Am A Mathematician) -- or at least I have an undergrad
degree saying that I used to understand this stuff better than I do now.
:-)  [ Also note that I'm not justifying your analysis, just provided
the math describing your analysis ]

    -- Bob