New Question: Scanners

Jeff Smith jsmith at alum.mit.edu
Wed Feb 16 14:14:01 EST 2005

Since (a) I haven't found the answer to the debian
question, and (b) I'm going to stay out of the "my distro's
better than your distro" war, I thought I'd introduce a new
question:

I'm looking for a reasonably portable scanner to go with
the rest of my mobile office (currently fits in two
computer bags - laptop, printer, external HD/DVD burners).
Would prefer 2400x2400, but will accept 1200x1200
resolution.  Hopefully not expensive.  Have USB, Firewire
capability.  If a full-sheet scanner, needs to be thin &
light.  Can be a "pull over the page" scanner. Does need to
do color.

Oh - and it HAS to work with Linux, since I don't run
anything else on the system.

I've looked over the Sane project
(https://www.sane-project.org), but I could use some
guidance from those with experience - what really works
well/doesn't?

jeff