Debian flamewar (was: OpenOffice doc...)

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Wed Feb 16 21:31:00 EST 2005

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 11:24:28PM -0500, Benjamin Scott wrote:
> > On that note, I've been through the new installer a few times and while I
> > never minded the old one much, the new one is really slick.
>
>   The Debian zealots I know have been telling me the installer is going to
> get much better Real Soon Now for over five years.  You'll pardon me if I
> don't hold my breath.  :)

For the record, I installed Debian for the first time about a month ago.
(My girlfriend's Mandrake box was toast, probably because the package
management stuff on 9.0 does not make it easy or understandable how the
hell I'm supposed to upgrade things, so... I didn't. A default Mandrake
box that I don't know how to update or configure ... and apparently
someone got in and started sending spam through it. I felt bad, but
blamed Mandrake anyway.) The install process was easy, no guessing, no
nothing, except for two points:

1. Partitions. Although it offered to guess partitions for me, it
presented me with a menu with all the sizes and various options. As much
as *I* understand, I wouldn't expect anyone else to understand it. It
should be skipped, or put behind an "Advanced Setup" button so people
don't mess it up.

2. Resolution - The monitor came up with a default 800x600 resolution.
I had to edit the xfree config file manually to get it to work. (The
monitor is a 15" LCD, which goes up to 1024x768.) I know as a user, I'd
be pissed off at that.

Other than that, it was extremely painless: just insert CD, follow
prompts, reboot.

--
Christopher Schmidt