Linux fan from Manchester seeks advice

Jim Sheldon jim.sheldon at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 11:11:00 EST 2005

Greetings all,

My name is Jim Sheldon, I'm 24, I live in Manchester, this is my first
post.  I found out about the GNHLUG at Linux World when I met two
gentlemen at the GNHLUG booth on Thursday.  I am very interested in
meeting other Linux enthusiasts in New Hampshire.

I was going to make this post in the "jobs" list first, but I don't
think it would fit, since I'm really just looking for information
right now.  Here is my background:

* BS in Information Technology from UMass Lowell
* Certificate in UNIX from UMass Lowell
* A+ certification
* 6+ years of Linux/*BSD tinkering on my own

I'm also working on the LPIC I certification.  I took the first test
at Linux World on Thursday, but I haven't received the results yet.

Here is my situation, I want a career in some form of UNIX, but all of
my work experience has been with Windows.  I run Linux/*BSD on
everything I can get my hands on.  My handheld, which is a Sharp
Zaurus SL-C750, even runs Linux (pdaXrom actually, check out
www.pdaxrom.org, it's incredible).  I also run a website and an
internet radio station off a Debian box in my apartment.

For the past 3 years I have been working as a contractor, and now as a
full-time employee, doing desktop support over the phone, and on-site,
for one of the largest cable companies in the country.  This company
is almost 100% Windows.  I don't have any friends or family in the
business, and my professors that I had for my UNIX courses in school
won't respond to my emails.  At this point I honestly don't know where
to turn, or who to ask about this.

I know that I want a career in some form of UNIX, but I don't know
what kind of company would hire me, where they would be located, what
they would be looking for, or what kind of position I should try for.
I'm not a programmer.  I took C/C++ courses in school, I enjoyed them,
but I don't think I have what it takes to be a programmer.  I enjoy
working with hardware the most, putting systems together and getting
them up and running.  I also enjoy writing scripts (shell, perl, php)
a lot, and automating processes.  I assume this would mean I should
try for some kind of system administration position, but I don't know
where to start.

I would really appreciate any advice that anyone could offer me.

Take care,
Jim