Speaking of SATA... (was flame war...)

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Tue Feb 22 00:36:01 EST 2005

On Feb 21, 2005, at 17:31, Fred wrote:

> Speaking of SATA, how well is SATA supported in 2.6? Is it at the point
> I can buy a SATA motherboard "blind" and not worry?

No.  I did that and I'm spending lots of time digging through Google
tonight.  The disk (Segate) works fine in PATA emulation mode but,
then, what's the point?  Oh, and if I put a disc in the DVD drive the
kernel panics (but install went OK from DVD).  I'm installing it in a
Pundit-R barebones which uses an ATI integrated chipset.  There's a bug
I'm following @Redhat on the CD problem, and I saw a note in 2.6.11rc3
that looks promising re: the controller.  When it does get resolved I
figure I'll probably have to fiddle with makeinitrd options to
bootstrap auto-detection.

Now, there are some SATA chipsets that have been around for a while and
are well supported, but that's research, not "blind" as you say.  But I
bought this one for the formfactor and built-ins, so I'm approaching it
from the wrong angle for a 'stable' solution.

Besides that, it's a hell of a nice system - I'm replacing an 800MHz
box with a slow bus and the app I built it for is running about 40x
faster.  Once that project is done it'll be my MythBox.

-Bill
-----
bill at bfccomputing.com           Mobile: 603.252.2606
http://www.bfccomputing.com/    Pager: 603.442.1833
AIM: wpmcgonigle                Skype: bill_mcgonigle