new member looking forward

Benjamin Scott bscott at ntisys.com
Tue Feb 22 01:04:00 EST 2005

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005, at 5:22pm, semiconductorbreakfast at verizon.net wrote:
> If anyone has a clue as to why I would be having "permission denied" even
> while logged in as root would be helpful. It had occurred to me while
> trying to install my video card modules manually.

  I've seen kernel modules return all manner of odd errors upon failure to
load or initialize.  Check the system log (the /var/log/messages file) for
clues.  Also check the output of the "dmesg" command.

  Another possibility is that the "permission denied" is occurring when some
part of the system is trying to talk to another part of the system, outside
of the normal Unix permission model.  I know that's vague and cryptic, but
I'm just guessing here.  Anyway, if the part of the kernel that allows
direct access to the video hardware is having trouble talking to the part of
the X display server that does the same, I imagine a "permission denied"
error could be the result.  You might check the "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" file
for clues.  (It might be "/var/log/XFree86.0.log" in FC1.)

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  Have you tried sacrificing a chicken?  ;-)

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>